Monday, April 16, 2018

Halloween

Not sure I've ever posted this collage I did for a Halloween tape I made in the '90s (a mix of movie quotes and appropriate music).  I'd very much like to do another collage if I can gather some material to work from.   I made tapes two consecutive years, so made two collages.  This was the better of the two .  The bottom has been lost because the place that made the copy couldn't fit the full image to the dimensions allotted.  After I had the piece assembled, I printed it in B&W then hit it with watercolors.  Then I had the poster made, 11"x 17.



The first of my art supplies did arrive, however we had to guess at which box had the drawing for Scott and the reference pic I'm working from.   That box also has several finished pieces I want very much to keep, so I don't want it getting lost in the mail.   Well, it's not lost but it is still at home.  The box that arrived has one tablet is good for medium sized portraits, and I have my pencils.  I also have the smaller masonite board, so I'm figuring out what image to paint on it.  I don't have the crayons yet and don't want to wait for them.  I have some acrylics and can get more, so that's the way to go.  I have one image that I might  go with (an extra on the 80's Twilight Zone, drummer in a nightclub) but  I'm still looking for the moment.

Spent the morning watching Siouxsie and the Banshees vids in quarter time, writing down timestamps for images to draw and/or paint.  There's one interview with Siouxsie Sioux that has decent detail, enticing colors and textures.  I think I want to do several, maybe smaller portraits.  Ah...choices.  This id in hopes of a sale to a Siouxsie fan, maybe a Goth devotee.  Jesseca is thinking Goth folk could be a lucrative market if I do some Goth icons.  So, that in mind, the portrait needs to be instantly recognizable but also recognizably the spirit she projects.  "There is a fun, flippant side to me but I would much rather be known as the Ice Queen."   Do an image search on her and you'll see tons of shots of her as humorless.  Yeaaaaaaah...but I see her playful side in interviews, hear it in her lyrics, it even peeks through in performance.  She isn't a dedicated nihilist, her heart's not in it.  Honestly, I'm kinda bored with all the dour shots of her.  I have two screencaps I like that are more fun, one of them is a self-parody of her death-personification.  But would that sell as well as ...well, the usual?  Eh.  I have a few of those marked as well.

I'm getting ready to do a small Strawberry Korsakoff, see if I can get Scott to take it to the coffee shop.  I'd like to do a handful of small cards in different media and send them to Portland.    Jesseca has some Mod Podge she's not using.  Still looking for more variety in foil.   I'm more and more tempted to flat-out copy Chagall's style for Mina knowing it won't look like his anyway, though I hate to have it be a total knockoff.

There's an artist's co-op in town which would let me trade time behind the counter for a showing, provided they approve my work.  I've looked in, at the mo they have all pastoral and still life (along with jewelry and other 3D art).  I should play to my strength, which is portraits.  So what personages might sell?  I've got a Pope Francis to draw.  Marilyn Monroe, Jesseca suggested.  Man, I've  three images of her I really want to do in a book back home in Portland.  Damn.

Almost done working out the details on Hatshepsut.  Did I explain that one already recently?  It's riffing off a shot of a  ruined/reconstructed bust I saw in National Geographic.  All I need is to add a uraeus and work out the cloth of the headdress.  The face is mapped out, including resized eyes.  The bust is a bit stylized - eyes a little too large, features too smooth, no epicanthic folds.  She loses some mystique when you add those back in.  I wonder... that stylized eye makeup, was that for Egyptian art alone or did pharaohs really wear it?  Did they shave their actual eyebrows?  She's got a delicate smile, too, that could easily turn into a smirk if I'm not careful with it.  It's not an outright smile, ambiguous...could be amused or could be unhappy.  I'd include attribution to the photographer but I no longer have the issue.  I don't know what the real Hatshepsut looked like, and I don't care.  I just want to draw the person who might have been the model for this particular bust.

(edit) No, they did not shave off their eyebrows  except  when in mourning for their pet cats.  So if their actual browlines didn't match the usual dimensions seen in their art, did they adjust the makeup to fit their faces or did they cover their eyebrows with skin-colored makeup in favor of the painted brow?  And how should I approach this in  my drawing?  I certainly don't  want two sets of brows!  Nor do I care to Caesar Romero the pic.







No comments:

Post a Comment