Thursday, May 10, 2018

The 11th Hour

May 8th
Watched the  series finale of Penny Dreadful, it...did not improve my mood.  Spoiler alert, this beautiful, heartfelt, brilliant series is a fucking downer.

Anyway, this to me is the work I love, the only work that's mine.  It's all I want to do.  If only I can.  If I can make enough with it to be all I need.  I don't need to be rich, just to know I'll never be homeless.  I want my things.  I want a place for them and a place to be, and to have my own food.  To know the situation is stable and secured, and to know I'm wanted.  I wonder how long that will take and if I can get there.

X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X


May 10th.  As expected, didn't work on this yesterday.  This morning I'm almost 11 hours in.  Overcast day, the light hasn't been the best for it but now it's a little brighter.  I'm showing this stage precisely because I do not want to show this stage.  A lesson, though for you or for me I don't know.  Point is, I've been doing my best to do the tonal changes as I see them but as I've lain them down they just seem splotchy to me.  I've yet to work them in a way that convinces me of the play on light as the fabric changes planes.  The individual patches of shading aren't adding up.  If it's a lesson for students then I guess I'm saying  that being at a point like this is okay.  That area isn't done yet  (still that last triangle at the cuff to work), so don't fret or be uncomfortable with it.  Take the time, take the space, take the detail in context with the rest.  What looks right  helps what doesn't.  You (I) might look at the photo again for that, or disregard it and try to fix the drawing disregarding the reference - whichever way your mind can make the fabric and lighting credible.  I've already taken libertines with the shading.  As long as the impression you're after comes across, it doesn't have to be an exact reproduction.   For my own sake, it may help to stare at this pic on screen instead of the actual drawing on paper.  Why that works, I don't know...psychological?

Pay attention to the seams.  Some seams are inside the fabric and you won't see hard contour of thread.  All the same, the cloth will naturally show there's another layer beneath it.  Or a seam may be too fine for the camera,  the way the cloth moves outward from that seam will still indicate it.  You don't have to draw a line!  Let your shading work for you.

Okay, the more I look at it right now the less I see how to fix it and the less I like it.  Time to do something else for a while.

X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X<>X

HA!  I accidentally inverted the image in Wordpad and it looks fucking awesome that way!  Makes me feel a little better with it. : )  


Have now adjusted the eyes. I had them close, you wouldn't have been able to tell.  

I wonder what would happen if I took a reference image, inverted in, drew the invert, scanned it, then inverted that back...how would that look?  Would the effect be worth pursuing as an art piece?  After all, the piece itself would remain inverted, and only the print(s) would have the finished effect I'd intended...rather rendering the piece itself as incomplete or unfinished. 

Buddy spends a lot of time sleeping on my bed now.  He's right at a corner between two windows and the weather is getting warmer.  There's also a warm thick fuzzy purple blanket.  I'm happy to have his company, but I do have to make sure he  doesn't paw before he settles in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment